Pre 1900

 

Lt. J H T , Lord Kestevan

Gazetted (London), Transferred to be a Machine Gun Commander date 10th March 1900. Holding the temporary rank of Lieutenant in the army.

 

Lt.Col. Frederick Gordon Blair

Late 16th Hussars, Hon. Major

Commandant PAOLYC 1895-1905

The annual routine of the Regiment was interrupted in 1902 when a party was sent to London to represent the regiment at the coronation of Edward VII. On this occasion, Colonel Blair, riding abreast with other officers of the Militia and Volunteers, had the honour of representing the entire yeomanry force in the King's procession from Buckingham palace. In 1906, he became the regiments third Honorary Colonel after the death of Colonel Baillie. The Colonel was Aide de Camp to King George V from 1914 to 1920.

Frederick Gordon Blair was born on 11 November 1852 the son of Captain W F Blair R.N. of Blair, Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland. He was educated at Harrow School (The Grove) from Easter 1867 to Easter 1868. Blair was commissioned as a Sub Lieutenant in the 14th (King’s) Hussars on 26 March 1873. He transferred to the 16th Lancers in 1874.

 

COLONEL FREDERICK GORDON BLAIR, 4TH IMPERIAL
Medals comprising of: Order of St Michael and St George; Order of the Bath; QSA and four bars Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittenberg; SA 1901; ERVII territorial officer's decoration; 1935 silver jubilee medal; 1937 coronation medal; Russian order.

 

Lt.Col. F G Blair seen here in 1899 whilst in command of the PAOLYC, seated alongside Col. R W Chandos-Pole of the DYC 1898 -1905. Both Regiments made up the 6th Brigade (Yeomanry) and were on camp together at Aston-on-Trent.

 

6th Yeomanry Brigade (PAOLYC & DYC) Officers together in 1899 (Croxton Park, Staffs).

The two colonels of the respective regiments are Lt. Col. F G Blair LYC and Lt.Col. Chandos-Pole DYC sitting either side of the Brigade Adjutant C T McM Kavanagh of the 10th Hussars (seated centre).

 

Back Row: 2/Lt. W F Martin, Lt H T Mills, ?, Lt. R B Muir, ?, ?, ?, Lt. R H Ratcliff, Lt. W Byron, Lt. The Hon P C Evans-Freke
Front Row: Cpt. E M P de Lisle, Cpt. T E Harrison, Hon.Major. H G Clough-Taylor, Cpt. W A Peake, Lt. Col. F G Blair.

 

C Squadron in Garendon Park, May 1898.

Parade dress: 2/Lt. F W Martin can be seen seated on the floor furthest left in the officer group and Captain E M P de Lisle on his second left. The Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM Berridge?) is standing on the front row far right.

 

C Squadron (& Ladies) in Garendon Park, May 1898.

Patrol dress: The Life Guards PSI appears in this photo, standing behind the right central lady, his rank is hidden on his right sleeve but is seen in a picture taken in 1900. A crown above four inverted stripes..... possibly a Staff Corporal (or SCM)? 

 

Trooper William Hardy (b.1878 - d.1961)

William is pictured here in 1897 in the stable yard of the home farm of the Hardy family in Rearsby, Leicestershire. The picture, below shows, the farm as it is today, you can recognise the outbuildings from the photo (Photos: Vic Chapman, Grandson of William).

 

Major E M P de Lisle

Pictured above in PAOLYC Hussar Captains uniform, Squire Everard March Phillips de Lisle (1862-1947) commanded C Squadron from 1902-6. He was a Lieutenant from the 26th June 1886, Captain from the 2nd July 1892 and Major from 18th June 1902 and does not appear on strength after 1910. In 1906 he was appointed High Sheriff of Leicestershire and from 1907-47 he served as Deputy Lieutenant of Leicestershire. The de Lisle family now live at Quenby Hall in Leicestershire and have always kept close links with the modern regiment and Squadron.

 

Garendon Hall, Leicestershire.

Owned by the de Lisle family and the setting for many an annual camp for the PAOLYC. Sadly this great house was demolished in 1964 because of death duties, War time neglect and urban growth.

'Image from Lost Heritage - a memorial to England's lost country houses'

 A history of Garendon Hall can be found at:

http://lh.matthewbeckett.com/houses/lh_leicestershire_garendonhall.html.

 

HC Deb 30 April 1891 vol 352 c1775 1775
MR. DE LISLE (Leicestershire, Mid)

I wish to put a question to the Secretary for War of which I have given him private notice, namely, whether it is possible to arrange the training of the Leicestershire yeomanry so that all the members of the corps who desire to vote at the coming election may have an opportunity of doing so?

MR. E. STANHOPE

It is already recognised by Statute that all reasonable opportunity shall be given to members of yeomanry corps to whatever Party they belong, to record their votes; but I will make inquiry into the matter, and see that every reasonable opportunity is secured.

 

Captain Charles Toler McMurragh Kavanagh (10th Hussars)

Adjutant to the PAOLYC from the 12th of June 1895 to the 16th of February 1903.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, JUNE 11, 1895 (Page 3319)

 

KAVANAGH, CHARLES TOLER McMURROUGH, Major and Brevet Lieutenant Colonel, was born 25 March, 1864, son of the Right Honourable A McMurrough Kavanagh, of Borris, County Carlow. He was educated at Harrow, and entered the 3rd Dragoon Guards, as Lieutenant, 6 February 1884. He was transferred to the 10th Hussars 20 February 1884. From 7 March 1889 to 21 April 1891, he was ADC to the Captain-General and Governor-in-Chief, Jamaica, being promoted to Captain 1 February 1890, and from 1 July 1895 to 1 February 1900, Adjutant of Yeomanry. He became Major 6 January 1900. He served in the South African War, 1899-1902; took part in the operations in the Orange Free State, February to May 1900, including actions at Poplar Grove, Driefontein, Houtnek (Thoba Mountain), Vet River and Zand River. In the Transvaal in May and June, 1900, including actions near Johannesburg, Pretoria and Diamond Hill; in the Transvaal, west of Pretoria, July to 29 November 1900, including action at Elands River; in Orange River Colony, May to 29 November 1900, including action at Wittebergen; again in the Transvaal 30 November 1900 to July 1901; also during the operations in Cape Colony, July 1901 to 31 May 1902 (in command of Mobile Column); in command, 10th Hussars, from 19 October 1901 (Despatches [London Gazette, 10 September 1901, and 29 July 1902]; Brevet of Lieutenant Colonel 29 November 1900; Queen's Medal with five clasps, and King's Medal with two clasps). He was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]: "Charles Toler McMurrough Kavanagh, Major and Brevet Lieutenant Colonel, 10th Hussars. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". He became Lieutenant Colonel 7 May 1904, taking command of the 10th Hussars, and in 1906 he was made an MVO. He was given the Brevet of Colonel 18 August 1905; became Colonel 7 May 1908, and was Temporary Brigadier General 11 May 1909 to 10 May 1913, in command of the 1st Cavalry Brigade, Aldershot. He was made a CB and CVO in 1909. From 5 January 1914 to 17 February 1915, he was again Temporary Brigadier General, and was a Brigade Commander in India from 5 January to 9 September 1914. Brigadier General Kavanagh served in the European War. He was Brigade Commander, 7th Cavalry Brigade, BEF, 10 September 1914 to 14 April 1915; was promoted Major General 18 February 1915; was Divisional Commander, 2nd Cavalry Division, BEF, 19 April to 14 July 1915; Divisional Commander, 5th Division, BEF, 15 July 1915 to 31 March, 1916; became Temporary Lieutenant General 1 April 1916; Army Corps Commander, 1st Army Corps, British Armies in France, 1 April to 3 September 1916; Army Corps Commander, Cavalry Corps, British Armies in France, from 4 September 1916. He was mentioned in Despatches, and was created a KCB in 1917. Lieutenant General Sir C T McM Kavanagh married, in 1895, May second daughter of S Perry, of Woodroof, County Tipperary. They had two daughters.
KCB (m), KCMG, CVO (n 443), DSO, QSA (5) CC Drief Joh D-H Witt (Lt Col 10 Hus), KSA (2) (Lt Col DSO 10 Hus), 1914 Star and Bar (Brig-Gen CB, CVO, DSO), BWM, Victory Medal with MID (Lt Gen) 1911 Coronation, 1935 Jubilee, 1937 Coronation, Croix de Guerre (France) with palm, Order of St Maurice and Lazarus (Italy) 2nd Class, Legion dHonneur (France) 4th Class. Spink 1967 240. Glendinings 1993 2,500. Liverpool 1993 3,450. 
Source: DSO recipients (VC and DSO Book)

 


Captain C T McM Kavanagh (10th Hussars) , the Brigade Adjutant, leading off the PAOLYC for  parade at Croxton Park Camp, Staffordshire, 6th Yeo. Bgd., 1899.

 

Lt.Col. James W Baillie

Hon. Colonel

Commandant 1882-1895. Illston Grange, formerly called Illston New Grange and later Illston Hall, was built for Col. J. W. Baillie From: 'Illston on the Hill', A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 5: Gartree Hundred (1964), pp. 163-166. He was the regiments second Honorary Colonel. Illston Grange, formerly called Illston New Grange and later Illston Hall, was built for Col. J. W. Baillie, who, until 1895, was Colonel Commanding the Leicestershire Yeomanry. The house, which was of red brick, was demolished in 1927 after the death of his heir, Lt.-Col. F. D. M. Baillie. There had originally been a small farm on the site and the property is once more a farm. The large stable block with its central clock tower has been left standing and is now used as a riding stables.

 

 

The Colonel's daughter Violet Maude M. Baillie, born 1870 in St. Georges Hannover Square, and in the 1881 census, for the family of four plus a visiting Uncle there were listed no less than 17 servants in their second residence in Leicestershire: Illston Grange.  There were 3 Grooms, 2 Footmen, a French Governess, Housekeeper, Lady's Maid, Cook, Kitchen Maid, 3 Housemaids, Still Room Maid, Scullery Maid, School Room Maid & Young Ladies Maid.

Violet married 'Robert Andrew Falkner' in 1891. She died aged 63 in 1935.

 

Sgt. Major Instructor J H Hickinbotham

James Henry, lived at 11, Cobden Street, Loughborough, Leicestershire in 1893.

 

Click on for a larger image....
The Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry parading through Humberstone Gate in Leicester c1890s

 


Two mounted Leicestershire Yeoman in front of Oakham
Castle, Rutland c1890s

 

Colonel Baillie & The Officers (with and without hats), at Garendon Park camp in 1894.

Standing back row (from left): Lt. R B Muir; Vet. Surg. Major E Bailey; Lord Willoughby de Ersesby; Cpt. E R Maudslay; 2/Lt W E Chaplin; 2/Lt A H Robinson; Cpt. Paget (R.H.A); Lt T E Harrison; Lt W G S Rolleston; Cpt E M P de Lisle; Cpt. F Baillie (4th Hussars); Surg.Cpt. J T Jaques; Asst-Srg. J A Turner

Seated Middle row (from left): Mjr. W A Peake; 2/Lt A W Byron; Cpt H G Clough-Taylor; Lt E de C Oakeley; Cpt G S Williams (late 8th Hussars); Lt.Col. T A Henry; Col. J W Baillie; Col. Langtry (late 8th Hussars, Commanding 17th Regt. District); Mjr S T Ashton (late 14th Hussars); Cpt W J Martin; Cpt E C P Curzon (18th Hussars, Adjutant)

Seated on the Grass (from left): Lt J W Hornsby; 2/Lt W Byron; 2/Lt R H Ratcliff   

 

Captain E C P Curzon (18th Hussars)

Appointed Adjutant to the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry on 1st of January 1890 until the 12th of June  1895

 

Captain E R Maudslay

The London Gazette 18th of March 1892 :- Leicestershire (Prince Albert's Own), Second Lieutenant E. R. Maudslay, late Captain, 16th Lancers, to be Captain. Dated I9th March 1892.

The London Gazette 12th of October 1897 :- Leicestershire (Prince Albert's Own), Captain E. R. Maudslay resigns his Commission. Dated 13th October, 1897.

 

PAOLYC NCOs circa 1894.

The SNCO seated with a crown and four stripes is a Squadron Sergeant Major.

 

PAOLYC Officer Group in 1887

Back Row: 1. Vet.Surg. E Baily, 2. Lt. W G Marshal, 3. Bandmaster Henry Nicholson Jnr., 4. Lt. W J Martin, 5. Cpt. W E J Farnham, 6. Lt. H T Mills, 7. Lt. H G Clough-Taylor, 8. 9. 10. 11. Lt. W G S Rolleston, 12. Adj. E L Braithwaite, 13th Hussars (possibly?) 13. 14. 15. Surg.Cpt. J T Jaques

Middle Row: 16. Cpt. S T Ashton 17. Cpt J H Smith, Hon.Major (possibly?) 18. Lt.Col. J W Baillie, 19. Mjr. T A Henry (Hon. Lt.Col), 20. Cpt. C "Beardy" Smith, 21. Cpt. W A Peake

Front Row: 22. Cpt. F G Blair, 23. Cpt. Lord Rathdonnell

 

Captain E L Braithwaite (13th Hussars)

Appointed Adjutant to the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry on 1st of January 1885 until the 1st of January 1890

Ernest Lucas Braithwaite was appointed Ensign in the 71st Highland Light Infantry on 23 September 1871, becoming Lieutenant on 28 October the same year. He was appointed an ADC to Sir Garnet Wolseley and accompanied him during the Zulu War in 1879 until he arrived at Pretoria, one of only two awards for this campaign to the regiment unique with the “1879” clasp. He was shortly afterwards invalided home, having been promoted to Captain on 1 April 1879. In 1881 he transferred to the 13th Hussars, and in the following year served in the Egyptian War on special service, and was present at the battle of Tel-el-Kebir. He was promoted to Major on 1 July 1888.
During the Boer War he served with the Imperial Yeomanry, on the 4th Battalion Staff (working with Col. F G Blair again).

His medals :- The group consists of Coronation 1902, SAGS (1) 1879 (Capt., 71st Foot A.D.C.), Egypt Medal (1) Tel-El-Kebir (Capt., 13th Hussars), QSA (2) CC OFS (Major, 4/Imp. Yeo.), Khedive’s Star 1882.

 

The information below is not the same person as the above, there appears to have been an error in the identification :-

Ernest Braithwaite (Charge of the Light Brigade Veteran)

 

Major and Hon Lt.Col. T A Henry

Thomas, late of the 14th Hussars, he was Captain on the 28th June 1876 and then Major and Hon. Lt.Col. on the 24th of March 1880. Resigned 1895.

 

Captain Viscount G R P Curzon

4th Earl Howe (1900)

Lieutenant on the 7th of February 1883 and then Captain on the 18th of July 1890, then Cpt. G R P 4th Earl Howe in 1900 and resigned by 1911.

In 1885, Curzon was elected Member of Parliament for Wycombe. He became a government member when he was appointed Treasurer of the Household under Lord Salisbury in 1896, a post he held until 1900, when he inherited his father's titles and gave up his seat in the House of Commons. From 1900 to 1903 he served as Lord-in-Waiting under Salisbury and then Arthur Balfour. In 1903 he was made a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order and appointed Lord Chamberlain to Queen Alexandra. He served in that post until the Queen's death in 1925.

Lord Howe was also a Captain in the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry, an Honorary lieutenant-colonel in the 2nd Battalion of the Leicestershire Volunteer Regiment and a Justice of the Peace for Buckinghamshire.

His brother-in-law, Lord Randolph Churchill, appointed him one of his two literary executors; in that capacity he gave his consent to Winston Churchill writing the biography of his father, although with some reluctance.

Captain S T Ashton

Sam Tudor Ashton, late of the 14th Hussars and Hon. Major, 11th April 1885.

 

Thomas Kane McClintock Bunbury, 2nd Baron Rathdonnell (1848 - 1929)
Friday February 26th 1891: On his 18th wedding anniversary, TK resigns his commission as a Captain in Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry.

2nd Baron Rathdonnel and Capt C T McM Kavanagh (Adjutant PAOLYC & 6th Yeo. Brigade) in a shooting Party at Portaferry House, Co. Down, 2nd December 1897.

 

Henry Nicholson  junior (b.1825- d.1907)
Pictured above c1895, made his first public appearance in 1836, when he took his place with
his father’s Duke of Rutland’s Band for a concert held
on the Wharf Street Cricket Ground. From an early age Henry showed his musical talent both as a player and a composer, writing, in celebration
of the Queen’s visit to the town in 1843, a march
that was later to be adapted as the
Regimental March of the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry.

 

Band Sergeant W Wesley

After 54 years' service, Band Sergeant W. Wesley, of the Leicestershire Yeomanry, send in his resignation and we are glad to give a portrait of this much respected member of the "B" Squadron. He is a grazier residing in a village near Leicester, and keeping a number of horses, is still a good rider, even though his age is now 74 years. He will be greatly missed by the Regimental band master under whom he served 52 years, and carries with him the good wishes, not only of the Band, but of the whole Regiment. His long service is how-ever exceeded by Bandmaster H. Nicholson, who is one of the oldest if not the oldest member of the yeomanry, he having joined the Leicestershire on the 1st of January 1841. He succeeded his father as band master of the Regiment and is still serving, and during his service of nearly 60 years his generous and gentlemanly demeanour and high-class musical abilities have gained him many friends, both military and civilian. We are pleased to call attention to these Yeomen, each of whom has served over half-a-century. {Published : Yeo: Record March 1898} 

 

Trooper William Lewitt

This photo was taken by W Clayton of Nottingham and Leicester in the late 1880s. The Lewitt name, from Thurmaston in Leicester,  is associated in later service with the Leicestershire Yeomanry during WW1.

 

Major Sir George Ernest Paget

(PAOLYC 1865-85)

Bt. JP (1841-1923), of Sutton Bonnington Hall, was the son of Mr. George Byng Paget, director and later chairman of the Midland Counties Railway. He was educated at Harrow, and served in the 7th Hussars, the Royal Horse Guards and the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry attaining the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. In 1870 he became a director of the Midland Railway going on to be Chairman in 1891.

 

Captain J Gibsone (17th Lancers)

Appointed Adjutant to the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry on the 18th of September 1863 until the 1st of January 1885. Made and honorary Major in 1883. Cornet John Gibsone of the 17th Lancers was listed as part of the Light Brigade in the Crimea but not listed as a participant in the charge. Gibsone was commissioned into the 17th Regiment of Light Dragoons (Lancers) on the  8th of December 1854 and joined it in the Crimea on 14 July 1855. He retired as a captain in 1863. A Wooden sign post, 'To Headquarters and Balaklava', 1854, brought back by Cornet Gibsone is still held by the National Army Museum.

http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collection/detail.php?acc=1960-08-50-1

His address is listed as Gaddesby near Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire, in 1869.

 

29 July 1863

Horticultural Show and Band Contest - Moira, near Ashby-de-la-Zouch Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry Band (by permission of Colonel the Right Hon, the Earl Howe) was engaged for the occasion, and directed by Mr. Nicholson, the bandmaster. The members of this band played with great spirit and skill the following selection of music:

Wedding March - Mendelssohn. .
Valse, "Garendon" - Mrs. A. de Lisle.
Overture, "Zauberflote" - Mozart.
Grand Selection, "Robert le Diable" - Meyerbeer.
Polka, "Eclipse" - Koenig (Cornet Obligato, Mr. W. Seal.)
Grand March, composed for the opening of the International
Exhibition, 1862 - Auber.
Galop, "Early Morn - J. P. Clarke
Overture, "Bohemian Girl" - Balfe.
Operatic Selection. "Un Ballo in Maschera" - Verdi.
Quintett, "Blow Gentle Gales" - Bishop

 

Henry Clarke.
Henry Clarke's shop at 37 1/2 Gallowtree Gate in about 1883, probably run by one of his sons. At this time the firm were armourers to Prince Albert's Own Leicester Yeomanry Cavalry.

PAOLYC on Royal Escort for the Prince & Princess of Wales on the 29th of May 1882.

Here on the 29th of May 1882, the yeomanry in full dress is again serving as an escort to royalty. En Route to open Leicester's Abbey Park, their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales paused in the Market Place to receive an address from Earl Ferrers (as Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons). The Yeomanry served its purpose too, it being widely reported that one one onlooker near Dover Street (either through intoxication or misplaced admiration for royalty) approached too close to the royal party in an effort to shake hands. Undeterred by the blows from the Princess's parasol, the over familiar subject was seen off with the flat of a Yeomanry sword.


Known as "Prince Albert's Yeomanry Cavalry" (Robert Read's, "Modern Leicester", 1881)

 

Major The Hon. W. H. Curzon
  Major, the Hon. William Henry Curzon, late of the 17th Light Dragoons, died yesterday (Tuesday, Jan 6, 1914) at his residence, 17 Eccleston Square, S.W., in his 87th year.
  He was the fifth son of the first Earl Howe (Richard William Penn Curzon-Howe 1796-1870), and served in the Crimea, receiving the medal and clasp and the Turkish medal, and in Central India.   At one time he held a commission (Lt.Colonel) in the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry.
  He married first, in 1870, Beatrice Louisa Margaret (who died in 1873), second daughter of Mr. Alexander Page, and secondly, in 1874, Emily, youngest daughter of Mr. Frederick Cowper, of Carlton Hall, Penrith.

 

Officers & NCOs, circa 1880.

Troop Corporal R E Perkins is named (on the back of the photo - eBay sale 2013 *) as second from the right in the back row. Lieutenant T A Henry (ID from other photos of him) is standing to the left of Perkins.

 

* If you are the new owner of the above image we would very much appreciate a high resolution scan for our records as this image contains some very important historical uniform detail and some faces that we would like to identify.

 

Lt. T A Henry (left) and Major & Hon. Lt Col (right)

 

Sergeant W.I. Iliffe
D. Troop, Leicester Yeomanry Cavalry Sword Prize 1877-8

19th Century Presentation Sword with engraved blade, inscribed, “Sergeant W.I. Iliffe D. Troop, Leicester Yeomanry Cavalry Sword Prize 1877-8”.

 

Lt.Col. Charles George Noel (1879-81)

2nd Earl of Gainsborough

C G Earl of Gainsborough succeeded his uncle William Noel as Member of Parliament for Rutland in 1840, but only held the seat until the following year. He then served a year as High Sheriff of Rutland for 1848. In 1866 he succeeded his father in the earldom and entered the House of Lords. The following year he was appointed Lord Lieutenant of Rutland, which he remained until his death.

He and his wife embraced Catholicism on New Year's Day in 1850.

 

 

Lt.Col. F Palmer 1879-82

Late Captain of the 36th (Herefordshire) Regiment of Foot and appears to have been in the 27th of Foot.

War Office, October 5th 1849 :- 27th Foot-Captain F. Palmer, from 36th Foot, to be Captain, vice Herring, who exchanges.

In 1855 he is a Lieutenant in the PAOLYC and promoted in 1856. In 1877 he is promoted Major and in 1879 become Lt.Colonel and shares the position with Lt.Col. C G Noel, Earl of Gainsborough. 

 

Maj.Gen. R W P Curzon-Howe, C.B.

Colonel 2nd Life Guards

Hon.Col. 3rd Earl Howe PAOLYC 1879-95.

In 1838, Curzon-Howe joined the British Army and rose through the ranks as a Major General in 1869, Lieutenant General in 1877 and a General in 1880. He fought in the Kaffir War and was present at the Siege of Delhi, for which he was appointed a CB in 1858. In 1876, Curzon inherited his elder brother's titles. He was appointed Honorary Colonel of the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry in 1876 on the death of his brother (Lt.Col. Commandant PAOLYC [1870-79] George A F L 2nd Earl Howe), Colonel of the 94th and 17th Regiment of Foot in 1879 and Colonel of the 2nd Life Guards in 1890. In 1897, he was appointed a GCVO for his services as Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire, a post he held between 1888 and 1900.

 

 

George A F L Curzon-Howe (Viscount Curzon)

Lt.Col. Commandant 2nd Earl Howe PAOLYC 1870-79.

Captain "Viscount Curzon" in the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry in 1846. His father, Earl Howe, was Lt.Col of the Regiment at this time and then becomes Lt.Col Commandant in 1861. In 1961 is promoted to Lt.Col George A F L Visc. Curzon and shares the PAOLYC Colonelcy with Lt.Col Hon. Charles Powys (late 9th Lancers). In 1870 becomes Lt.Col. Commandant 2nd Earl Howe PAOLYC on the death of his father, until his own death in 1876.

He was a Member of Parliament (MP) for the Southern Division of Leicestershire from 1857 to 1870.

Until the death of his father, George Curzon-Howe was styled 'Viscount Curzon' (it is a British custom for a peer's heir apparent to be referred to as a viscount, if the second most senior title, held by the head of the family is a viscountcy). On his father's death in 1870, Curzon-Howe gained the title 2nd Earl Howe. On his own death on 4 February 1876 at age 55, his titles passed to his brother Richard Curzon-Howe, 3rd Earl Howe.

 

The Hon. Charles Powys

(Left) Pictured as Lt.Colonel PAOLYC post 1870.

(Middle) Pictured as Lt.Colonel PAOLYC in 1861.

(Right) Pictured in the 9th Lancers : Original CDV photograph of Lt. Col. Powys by Messes Southwell Photographers Royal, 16 Baker Street, Portman Square, London.

Circa 1860s, nice condition. In the image he is wearing the medals he won early in his career - one medal with the Chilianwala and Goojerat clasps, and the other likely with the Delhi, Lucknow and Relief of Lucknow clasps as he was "there".

The Hon. Charles Powys (Major Powys) was Lt. Col Commandant 1876-1878, Prince Albert’s Own, Leicestershire’s Yeomanry Cavalry. He served in the Sikh War and the Indian Rebellion (b. 4 Mar 1813; d. 16 Oct 1897), mar. (1) 29 Mar 1836 Mary Kennedy (dsp. 12 Feb 1854), Powys was also a Colonel in the 9th lancers and was the son of 2nd Baron Lilford.

His obituary: Powys died at Pimlico, aged 84, He entered the Royal Navy, 1826, and was present on the HMS Blonde at the taking of the Morea Castle, 1828. In 1881 he entered the 9th Lancers, and served through the Punjab Campaign, 1848-9 (Passage of the Chenab at Ramnuggur and Battles of Chillianwallah and Goojerat (Medal with two clasps), and afterwards with much distinction through the Indian Mutiny, 1857-9. Married, first, 1836, Mary, daughter of William Scott Kennedy; and second, 1854, Agnes Ann. daughter of John Richards.

Has his portrait in the National Portrait Gallery by Camille Silvy albumen print, 28 January 1861.

 

 

Captain John Bainbrigge Story, Junior.

Pictured above in 1861.

The London Gazette, November 27, 1860 : -

 

Ambrose Charles Lisle Phillipps De Lisle

Pictured as Cornet PAOLYC in 1861, having first joined in 1855.

 

Henry Weysford Charles Plantagenet Rawdon-Hastings & Florence Cecelia Paget

4th Marquess of Hastings 

Pictured above in 1861 (age 19) as Lieutenant in the PAOLYC.  In 1862 Lord Hastings became engaged to Alice March Phillipps de Lisle, but they never married (she later married the Hon. Arthur Strutt, younger son of Lord Belper). On 16 July 1864 he married Lady Florence Paget, daughter of Henry Paget, 2nd Marquess of Anglesey. The marriage created a scandal as the bride had been engaged to Henry Chaplin. He died in 1868, aged only 26, with no children. The Marquessate of Hastings became extinct, while the Earldom of Loudoun passed to his eldest sister Lady Edith and his English baronies fell into abeyance between Lady Edith and their three other sisters (all would go to Edith save their mother's, which passed to the second sister Lady Bertha). Florence, Marchioness of Hastings would later remarry Sir George Chetwynd, 4th Baronet.

 

Captain Edward Finch Dawson

Pictured (left) in the 6th Dragoons in 1858, pictured (middle) as Lieutenant PAOLYC in 1861 and (right) as Captain the PAOLYC post 1870.

Edinburgh Gazette, 1854 :- 6th Dragoons: Lieutenant, without purchase, Cornet Edward Finch Dawson.

London Gazette, May 25th 1858 :- 6th Dragoons : Lt. Edward Finch Dawson to be Captain, by purchase, vice Brevet-Major Mauley, who retires. Date 21st of May 1858.

 Edinburgh Gazette, March 20th 1860 :- 6th Dragoons: Captain Edward Finch Dawson, retires 6th March 1860.

Cornet in 1860 and Captain 1861-76 PAOLYC, late of the 6th Dragoons, an officer with Crimean service wearing his campaign medals. He was still in the PAOLYC in 1876 but had retired by 1879.

 

Captain Sir G Palmer, Bart.

In late November 1839 a Troop of Leicestershire Yeomanry helped escort the Queen Dowager to Belvoir Castle. The Troop was headed by Capt. Sir G Palmer, Bart., and Capt. E B Hartopp, Esq., and escorted Her Majesty from Melton Mowbray to Belvoir Castle.

 

 

Richard William Penn Curzon-Howe

1st Earl HOWE

Pictured above in 1838, Lt.Col. Earl Howe, LYC. From Windsor 10.3.1833 to The Rev Henry Harvey, Hadley, Barnet. Free strike 11.3.1833. Lord Chamberlain to the Queen Dowager. Seats: Gopsall, Atherstone, Leicestershire; Penn House, near Amersham, Buckinghamshire.

 

Gopsall was held at the Conquest by Henry de Ferrers, audits chapel was given by Earl Ferrers, about 1380, to Merevale Abbey. In 1393, the manor was sold to the Langham family. In 1560, George Langham sold it to Francis Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon. It afterwards passed to the Merrys and Lowthers, the latter of whom sold it, in 1685, to Humphrey Jennens, from whose family it passed, as already stated, to that of its present noble owner, the Rt. Hon.Richard Wm. Penn, Assheton Curzon-Howe, G.C.H. and D.C.L. Earl Howe, Viscount Curzon, &c., who was for some years Lord Chamberlain to the Queen Dowager, a Governor of the Charter Home, Trustee of Rugby School, Deputy Grand Master of the Freemason of England, etc., and has been since 1856 the highly esteemed Provincial Grand Master of the Freemasons of Leicestershire. He was born in 1796, and succeeded his grandfather in the viscounty and barony of Curzon in 1820; and his mother in the barony of Howe in 1826. He assumed the name of Howe, and was created Earl Howe in 1821, and became a G.C.H. in 1830, and a Privy Councillor in 1831. His father, the Hon. Penn Assheton Curzon, was son and heir of the first Viscount Curzon, but died without succeeding to the title ; and his mother, the late Baroness Howe, was the eldest daughter and co-heiress of the gallant Admiral Howe, who, in 1792, succeeded the brave Rodney, as Vice-Admiral of England, and was the fourth Viscount Howe, in Ireland, but was raised to the English peerage by the title of Viscount Howe, of Langar, Nottinghamshire, in 1782. He was created Baron and Earl Howe in 1788, and died in 1799, when the Viscounty and Earldom became extinct, but the Barony devolved on his eldest daughter. The present Earl married Harriet, daughter of the late Earl of Cardigan, in 1820, but she died in 1836; and in 1845, he married the Hon. Miss Gore, daughter of the late Admiral Sir John Gore, K.C.B. The Earl is guardian of the young Marquis of Hastings, and is highly distinguished for his benevolence to the poor and his liberality and indefatigable exertions in the promotion of religious instruction. He has laid the first stones of many churches and national schools in this and adjacent counties, and is also a. liberal patron of agriculture. His son and heir the Right Hon. George Augustus Frederick Louis Curzon- Howe, Viscount Curzon, who was born in 1821, has been M.P. for South Leicestershire since 1857, and Lieut.-Colonel of the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry since 1860, and resides at Penn House, Buckinghamshire.[Whites history, gazeteer & Directory for Leicestershire, 1863]

 

Commissions signed by the Lord Lieutenant of the County of Leicester, 1871.

Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Volunteer Cavalry

 

J D Craddock, Gent.

John Davys, gazetted (London), To be Cornet, vice Sutton, promoted. Dated 10th August 1871.

 

Order of Battle 1869
Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry

RHQ

The Rt Hon The Earl Howe
Lt.Col. Commandant

Lt. Col. The Rt Hon The Viscount Curzon
Mancetter Manor House, Atherstone.
 
Lt. Col The Hon Charles Powys
58, St Georges road, Pimlico.

Major. J B Story
Lockington Hall, Derby

Major. C T Freer
Billesdon Coplow, Leics.

Adjutant. John Gibsone (late 17th Lancers)
Gaddesby, Melton Mowbray.

Surgeon. William Derington
New Walk, Leicester.

Ass Surgeon. Charles Sidley
1 Welford Road, Leicester.

Veterinary Surgeon. Frederick Bailey
High Cross Street, Leicester.

Chaplain. Rev H J Hoskyns
Blaby Rectory, Leics.

A TROOP
Mainly East Leicester & Houghton area.

Captain. Richard P Arthorpe
Rusper Nursary, Horsham, Surrey.

Lt. H L Powys-Keck
Stoughton Grange, Leics.

Cornet Robert Heathcote
Stoughton Grange, Leics.

RSM James Harran, Sept 1848, Leicester
Band Master Henry Nicholson, Jan 1846, Leicester
QM John Pratt, Sept 1834, Croft.
Farrier Hohn Sharpless, Jan 1863, Barkby.


B TROOP
Mainly Rutland, Exton & Cottesmore.

Captain. The Hon The Earl of Gainsborough
Exton Hall, Rutland.

Lt. The Hon E S Russel
Kirby Mallory, Leics.

Cornet Charles Sutton
Burleigh Hall, Loughborough.

QM Edward Bailey, Oct 1823, Leicester.
S/Sgt Evan Thorpe, Dec 1866, Leicester.
Sgt. William Berridge, Mar 1854, Barrow, Rutland.
Sgt. William Chamberlyne, Aug 1829, Leicester.
L/Sgt. John Cannand, Sept 1850, Whetstone.
Farrier William Sturgess, June 1860, Leicester.
Trumpeter John Lawrence, June 1831, Earl Shilton.

C TROOP
Mainly Forest area, Mountsorrel, Ulverscroft & Swithland.

Captain J B Story, Junior
Lockington Hall, Derby

Lt. Thomas Leigh
Belvoir Street, Leicester

Cornet. F H Paget
Birstall, Leicester

QM William Rowland, Aug 1827, Loughborough.
S/Sgt. William Scott, March 1858, Leicester.
Sgt. William Matts, April 1836, Beaumont Leys, Leicester.
Sgt. Joe Thompson, Sept 1837, Groby, Leicester.
L/Sgt. H Doherty, Sept 1850, Loughborough.
Farrier Chas Palin, Mar 1864, Houghton.
Trumpeter William Seal, Sept 1856, Markfield.

D TROOP
Mainly Leicester but NW of Market Harborough & Shearsby.

Captain R de Capel-Brooke
The Elm, Market Harborough

Lt. James Douglas
The Elm, Market Harborough

Cornet H Hole
Quorn Lodge, Loughborough

QM Ben Painter, Apr 1849, Burley, Oakham.

 

PAOLYC S/Sgt. William Small

Apr 1864, Leicester.

Sergeant 1941 William Small (16th Queens Lancers)

(Photo taken on the 28th of January 1896 at the Jubilee of the Battle of ALIWAL, "The Waterloo of India", he was one of surviving members of the battle.)

Was born about 1821 in Hertfordshire and attested with the 16th Light Dragoons
(Lancers) on 13 November 1839. He served a total of 24 years 146 days with the colours - twelve
years and two months of that time in India. He transferred to the 3rd Light Dragoons on 1 April 1846. He was promoted Corporal on 14 April 1844, Sergeant on 8 December 1848. He was tried by court martial and reduced to Private on 22 May, 1850. He transferred back to the 16th Lancers on  1 July, 1853 as a Private and promoted again to Corporal on 1 January, 1856 but in keeping with his ongoing pattern was again reduced to Private on 5 November, 1856. Promoted back to Corporal on 13 August, 1859 and then again to Sergeant on 6 May, 1863. He took his discharge at York on 9 April, 1864. Small took a posting as Troop Staff Sergeant with the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry on 14 April 1864 and served in that capacity until 17 July, 1875. His discharge being prompted by ill-health. At the termination of his volunteer service he was granted a 9 gratuity. His total years of service in the regulars and yeomanry come to 35 years 149 days.


Sgt. William Cooke, June 1854, Leicester.
Sgt. William Peabody, May 1852, Smeeton.
L/Sgt. William Colpman, Jul 1858, Naseby, Northampton.
Farrier Thomas Saddington, Sept 1830, Great Bowden.
Trumpeter Edward Orme, July 1852, Desford.

E TROOP
Mainly Leicester but Burbage, Hinkley, Bagwart & Thornton area.

F TROOP
Mainly Leicester.

G TROOP
From Oakham & Newbold Verdon in a strip.

H TROOP
Mainly Syston, Barkby, Thurmaston & Humberstone.

I TROOP
Mainly Loughborough & Whitwick.

K TROOP
Possibly Market Bosworth but mainly Congerstone, Twycross & Norton.

George Terry (Charge of the Light Brigade Veteran)

Formerly of the 17th Lancers  and then Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry.

Yorkshire man by birth, Burton resident for large periods of his life and until his death - he is one of a select band to have taken part in one of the most notorious military operations in history. The Charge of the Light Brigade, during the Crimean War, has attained almost mythical status in the 154 years since it took place - a tale of heroic British cavalrymen sent on an almost suicidal assault into the teeth of the heavy guns of the opposing Russian army.

 

However, the part played in the charge by George Terry has remained largely unknown until now, with the publication of Balaclava Heroes: Midlands Survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade, by Christopher Poole, an author based in Hamstall Ridware, near Abbots Bromley. The book tells the stories of 21 Midlands-based veterans of the charge, among them Terry and another Midlands veteran Reilly, both of the 17th Lancers. As Mr Poole explains, the charge is remembered as much for the heroism of the troops taking part in it as for the bungling of their commanders, men such as the Earl of Cardigan. "It was a terrible blunder," he says. "The commanders gave the order to charge and the very impetuous chap who carried the message and pointed which way they should charge - Louis Edward Nolan - pointed in the wrong direction. "The idea was to go and get some of the redoubts (forts) that were under attack, but instead they charged right into the oncoming guns. "The men would have been facing great heavy cannonballs flying along the valley floor, smashing into the horses, and some of the men literally lost their heads. There were mortars flying and they were being fired at by musket and rifle from both sides of the valley." Of the 673 cavalrymen taking part in the charge, 118 were killed and a similar number were taken prisoner, with the majority of the horses killed or wounded. The reckless nature of the charge prompted the French general Pierre Bosquet to exclaim: "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre - c'est de la folie." ("It's magnificent, but it isn't war - it's madness.")

After the war, George Terry continued to have distinguished military career. He received the Crimea Medal for the part he played in the campaign. After serving with the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry, Terry, along with wife Harriet, ran the Saracen's Head pub, in Bridge Street, Burton, which today forms part of the Three Queens Hotel site. After he died, on April 4, 1881, Burton people showed the regard they held for the hero of Balaclava by lining the streets all the way from the town centre to his final resting place at Stapenhill Cemetery, to pay their respects.

 

Balaclava Heroes: Midlands Survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade, by Christopher Poole, priced at 10 including postage and packing, is available from JWB, 280 Liverpool Road, Eccles, M30 0RZ or by telephoning 0161 7076455.

 

LYC Commissions 1861

 

Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry
Cavalry.
MEMORANDUM c1860.

Her Majesty has been pleased to accept the
resignations of Cornet George Warwick Hunt
and Cornet Thomas Henry Farquhar of the Commissions
they hold in the above Regiment.

 

Major. John Bainbrigge Story of Lockington, J.P., D.L.

 Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry, a noted fox hunter, and some time Master of the Quorn Hunt. He was born at Woodborough on the 29th July, baptized at Lockington on the 18th November, 1812, educated at Eton and Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He died on the 7th January, 1872, and was buried on the 11th at Lockington. M.I. to be seen there. After his decease the manor and estate were offered for sale. On the 20th June, 1872, the same were sold to Nathaniel Charles Curzon, Esq., of Derby.

 

 

Coronet The Right Hon. E B Wilbraham, Lord Skelmersdale to be Captain PAOLYC (Aug. 8th 1859).

 

LYC Commissions 1859

 

LYC Commissions 1857

 

Coronet Willam Unwin Heygate

He was born on 12 March 1825 and christened on 06 June 1825 at North Mimms. Commissioned a Cornet of Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry on 14 May 1852. On 6 May 1852 he married Constance Mary Beaumont. Justice of the Peace. Treasurer of the Billesdon, Blaby, Hinkley and Barrow upon Soar Union Workhouses in 1899. Unsuccessful Conservative candidate for Parliament for Bridport, 1857. MP for Leicestershire, 1861-1865. Purchased the manor of Brent Pelham, Brent Pelham Hall, in 1859.

 

Lt. C Packe
Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry c 1859

 

Colonel Swinfen, of the Leicestershire Yeomanry,

From an Auction in the UK in 1997: A painting of Colonel Swinfen holding a saddled charger in the grounds of a barracks signed and dated 'C.L. Ferneley/Melton Mowbray 1852' (lower right) oil on canvas 20 x 26 in. (50.8 x 66 cm.).

 

Captain William Henry Curzon

1853

 

Major Edward Basil Farnham

c1837-59, JP for Leicestershire and MP for North Leicestershire.

 

Commissions signed by the Lord Lieutenant of the County of Leicester.

Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry—Captain Edward Basil Farnham to be Major, vice Packe, resigned; March 6. Lieutenant Hampden Clement to be Captain, vice

Farnham, promoted; March 6. Cornet Sir George Howland Beaumont, Bart. to be Lieut., vice Clement, promoted; March 6. The Hon, Gerald James Noel to be Cornet, vice Russell, promoted; March 6. George Henry Littledale, Gent. to be Cornet, vice Heygate, promoted; April 12. Cornet the Hon. William Henry Curzon to be Lieutenant, vice Arkwright, resigned; May 14. William Unwin Heygate, Gent. to be Cornet, vice Beaumont, promoted; May 14.

LYC Commissions 1852

 

Commissions signed by the Lord Lieutenant of the County of Leicester, 1842.

Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry

 

Cornet H C Woodock

Henry Clewer, gazetted (London), To be Lieutenant, vice Pochen, resigned. Dated 18th March 1842.

Cornet J Philips

John, gazetted (London), To be Lieutenant, vice Bent, resigned. Dated 15th August 1842.

J P Mancott, Gent.

James Powell, gazetted (London), To be Cornet, vice Smith, resigned. Dated 15th April 1842

Francis Smith, Gent.

Henry Clewer, gazetted (London), To be Cornet, vice Philips, promoted. Dated 15th August 1842

 

 

Coronet Hon. Edward Southwell

1844

 

From the London Gazette

 

Queen Victoria's & Prince Albert's visit to the City of Leicester c1844. A section of Leicestershire Yeomanry can be seen in Bell Top Shako Helmets in the bottom left corner of the etching.

 

Mayor of Hinckley

William Bradley was born in Leicester in 1835 and his early life and education took place in that city. During a period of 33 years he was also a member of the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry and became Quarter-Master Sergeant of the local troop. His expertise regarding horseflesh was matched by his knowledge of railway timetables.

 

Colin Campbell Macaulny, esq
Oct. 20. At Knighton Lodge, Leicester, in his 54th year, Colin Campbell Macaulny, esq. This gentleman was the second son of the late Rev. Aulay Macaulay, Vicar of Rothley, and was born at that vicarage Nov. 19th, 1799. He received his earlj education from his accomplished father, and was subsequently placed at Rugby, under Dr. Wooll, where he was distinguished for his rapid advance in all the studies of the school, and uniformly beloved for his amiability and kindness of disposition. On quitting Rugby, in 1815 (after some hesitation whether he should not go to the University and qualify for Holy Orders), he was placed with Thomas Burbidgc, esq. then town clerk of Leicester, and a solicitor in extensive practice. He continued in Mr. Burbidge's office till 1828, when, on some symptoms of delicate health, he was recommended to abstain from professional employment, and try the effects of relaxation and a warmer climate. He spent the winters of 1829, 1830, and talion in railway matters scarcely second to any in the kingdom. For fourteen years Mr. Colin Macaulay filled the responsible office of clerk to the county magistrates for the Leicester district with acknowledged ability. Ever ready to render himself useful to his native county in any way in his poner,Mr. Macaulny accepted! a commission in the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry in 1823. He was gazetted Lieutenant Aug. 8, 1829 ; and partly owing to ill-health,and partly to his twice waiving his claim in favour of the Marquess of Hastings,
and his friend E. B. Hartopp, esq., he did not obtain his Captaincy until Aug. 12,
1850. One who well knew him in his troop says, " he was as eminent as a soldier as a civilian. He was beloved by the whole carpi, and his social good qualities will be long and affectionately remembered." Literary tastes are so hereditary in the Babinigtons and Macaulays, that it would have been strange not to find them in Colin. Frequent intercourse with his near relatives, the gifted and amiable family at the Temple, and the refined and excellent Gisborne, greatly tended to foster and cultivate these tastes. He was a very early member of the Leicester Literary and Philosophical Society, and he rendered that now eminent society very essential service.



Quartermaster J Kirk 1841, he served for 46 years in the LYC.
The painting may be viewed at Leicester Museums & Galleries collections,

New Walk Museum, 53 New Walk

Leicester


Sir Willoughby Wolstan
Sir Wolstan was sheriff of Leicestershire 1843; and became Deputy-Lt in the same year; he is a Captain in the Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry. Seat. Bosworth Park, Leics.



Lt.Col. G. A. LEGH KECK, ESQ. LYC 1803.11.01-1860
Sept. 4. At his seat, Bank-hall, Lancashire,
aged 86, Geo. Anthony Legh Keck, Esq., Col. of Prince Albert's Own Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry (Named 1844.02.20). The deceased, born in 1784, at Stoughton, was the third son of Anthony James Keck, Esq., and Elizabeth his wife, the sister of Peter Legh, Esq., of Lyme—the grandson of Anthony Keck, Esq., of Lincoln's Inn, by Ann, daughter of William Busby, Esq., and Catherine his wife, born a Beaumont. In 1797, when only 23, he was elected one of the Knights of the shire for Leicestershire, and this post he maintained until 1818, when he was ousted by Mr. Chas. March Phillipps. In 1820 he was re-elected, as also in 1826 and in 1830, but having strongly opposed the Reform Bill, he was, at the first election under that measure, again supplanted by Mr. Phillipps. He then retired from public life, and employed himself either in attending to his very large estates, or in maintaining the efficiency of his yeomanry corps, of which he was Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant from the year 1803 to the time of his death. Mr. Keck married, in 1802, Elizabeth, the second of the three daughters of Robert Vernon Atherton, esq., of Atherton, Lancaster. She died in 1837, leaving no issue. Mr. Keek's mother being the sister of Mrs. Atherton (his wife's mother), he and his wife were first cousins; and both being grandchildren of Peter Legh, esq., of Lyme,—their mothers at the same time being co-heiresses,—there was a dispute in relation to the succession of the Legh property. Mr. Keek, by his marriage, united his own and his wife's claims, and thus adjusted the difference. The eldest sister of the late Mrs. Keck was married to Thomas, the second Lord Lilford. The large property of Mr. Keck descends to Lord Lilford and the Hon. Colonel Powys (better known as Major Powys), who are the sons of this nobleman and lady.

The House of Commons 1790-1820 :-



A very highest quality Silver-Plated original Livery Button, from the Gaunt Pattern Book Archive.   The quoted details below are from the original 1830s notes on the Pattern Book pages.

This Button has the twin-crested heraldic design of, and was made for:

 'Coln. Keck, Stouton, Leicestershire'.

[Lt.Col. George Anthony LEGH KECK, Esquire. Leicester Yeomanry Cavalry 1803-1860, of Stoughton Hall, Leics. Colonel of Prince Albert's Own Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry.  Born 1784, at Stoughton, died 1860].

Backmark: WILLm [Georgian Crown] HILL & Co., BIRMINGHAM.

Diameter: 26mm