F (LDYPAO) Squadron Band ACF on Annual Camp in 2009.
Leicestershire & Derbyshire (PAO) Yeomanry
Regimental Band at Blackfell Camp, Co. Durham,1966.
Regimental Drums of the LYPAO & LDYPAO.
The LDY "Trumpet Call(s)" is that of the 9th/12th Lancers:
"Regimental Call, Harmonised Stables, Blackbirds Fanfare".
Bandmaster Stent had the Squadrons in turn to listen to the
trumpet calls which he intended to introduce to future camps,
however the defence cuts prevented this.
(Many thanks to John Sills LDY PAO for the
LDY Trumpeters 1966.
The LDY Regimental March is "Yeomanry" by Bandmaster
Roy Stent (Band Sergeant Major 1960, 9th/12th Lancers).
LDY Regimental Band at Bellerby Camp 1964, Bandmaster Roy Stent
at the head.
The LY 154th FA used the Regimental March "Bird of the
Desert" or (Quick March) "Moses in Egypt",
according to old comrades in the 1960s. The quick march "Moses
in Egypt" was the quick march of the 11th (PAO) Hussars and
therefore likely to be the used march.
Band Master, 1938.
He is wearing a Regimental silver lace
waist girdle with his frockcoat.
LY Band in 1932 on Armistice Day, Melton Mowbray.
Leicestershire Yeomanry Band at second annual camp 1921.
Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Band
RP Pub Adams, Syston. (circa 1909)
The Leicestershire Imperial Yeomanry used the Regimental (Slow)
March "The Black
Horse" in 1907, as shown on a Regimental history
aide-memoir. 1907 is also the year that the former Bandmaster of
the PAOLYC, Henry Nicholson junior, died.
Before the 20th century few cavalry regiments deigned to
own a Quick March, regarding such jaunty infantry-style
quicksteps as beneath the dignity of the mounted arm. Although
with the passing of time - and the horses - Quick Marches became
Around 1881 all regiments, cavalry and infantry, were instructed
to submit details of their Regimental Marches to War Office so
that they could (for the first time) be officially approved.
Only Slow Marches were submitted by the cavalry. Many of these
had already been in use for generations; some were based on
traditional melodies; some were borrowed from the world of
Opera; others had been specially written by long-forgotten
Bandmasters, no doubt on the orders of contemporary Commanding
"The Black Horse" Regimental
March : Lord Devonshire had raised a Horse Troop of his own
in support of the new King ( William ), this Troop was to
eventually come to be known as the 7th ( Princess Royals')
Dragoon Guards. In 1720 during the Regiments peak they acquired
the nickname 'The Black Horse'. Unfortunately there is no
information about the origin of the Slow March of the 7th
(Princess Royals) Dragoon Guards. Its earliest appearance in
print dates from 1897 when a pianoforte arrangement was
published in The Black Horse Gazette for October of that year.
It was then entitled simply "Seventh Dragoon Guards (Princess
Royal's) Regimental March", but according to tradition it was
not unnaturally known by all ranks as "The Black Horse March".
LIY Band at annual camp in 1903
An LYC Veteran (Trumpet Lance Corporal) c1900, "Once a Yeoman, always a Yeoman!"
LYC Bandsmen c1898.
PAOLYC Trumpet Major William Rouse c1897
Trumpet Major Rouse is seen here on duty for the Lord Major of
Leicester. The PAOLYC Band wore a different Busby to that of the
fighting Squadrons of the Regiment. The Banner on the Trumpet
would be the Coat of Arms of the Squadron Leader, Commanding
Officer's or Colonels of the Regiment unless the whole Corps of
Trumpeters was issued with one Coat of Arms in particular, i.e.
if the Colonel of the Regiment or local individual had produced
an entire set of Trumpet banners which does still happen, even
today. It is most likely to be the Lord Mayor of Leicesters own
Coat of Arms.
(Thank you, to Mr & Mrs J Rouse of Seaford in
East Essex for the picture of Mr Rouse's Grandfather and
LYC Mounted band in Victoria Park, Leics in1890. Henry Nicholson
(Band Master) can be seen mounted furthest left of the band.
PAOLYC Drum Horse, the drums appear to have plain cloth side
Henry Nicholson junior
Pictured above c1895, made his first public appearance in 1836, when he took his place
his father’s Duke of Rutland’s Band for a concert held
on the Wharf Street Cricket Ground. From an early age Henry
showed his musical talent both as a player and a composer,
writing, in celebration
of the Queen’s visit to the town in 1843, a march
that was later to be adapted as the Regimental March of the Leicestershire Yeomanry
Henry is buried in the Nicholson Family Grave at Welford Road
Cemetery in Leicester.
In 1844, the
year that Henry joined Jullien’s famous orchestra in London, he
promoted the first of what were to become annual concerts in
Leicester. These concerts, which became a tradition that lasted
for almost half a century brought many famous musicians to the
town including the singer Adelina Patti and Charles Hallé, whose
piano playing on his first visit to the town in 1868 caused such
Two years later Henry played in the
first English performance of Mendelssohn’s
Elijah at Birmingham Town Hall. Conducted by the composer,
Nicholson used the opportunity to get the maestro to sign his
flute case. He continued this custom, collecting many famous
musicians' autographs over the next half century, including, on
his visit to Leicester in 1903, that of the American ‘March
King’, John Philip Sousa, who signed just below the name of
Kubelik. Sadly the case is now lost.
18 (approx) members of the
PAOLYC Mounted Band in full review order, 1885. The LYC Drum
Horse is seen at the front.
Drum Horse (drum banners not worn), the mounted band was present
at the Duke of Cambridge's' visit to the Midlands in 1885. A
Squadron of the PAOLYC can be seen in the right background
facing toward the tent and can also be seen in the picture below
that are to the close right of the drum horse. The picture below
shows the rest of the band behind the Drum Horse.
29 July 1863
Horticultural Show and Band Contest - Moira, near
Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry Band (by
permission of Colonel the Right Hon, the Earl Howe) was engaged
for the occasion, and directed by Mr. Nicholson, the bandmaster.
The members of this band played with great spirit and skill the
following selection of music:
Wedding March - Mendelssohn. .
Valse, "Garendon" - Mrs. A. de Lisle.
Overture, "Zauberflote" - Mozart.
Grand Selection, "Robert le Diable" - Meyerbeer.
Polka, "Eclipse" - Koenig (Cornet Obligato, Mr. W. Seal.)
Grand March, composed for the opening of the International
Exhibition, 1862 - Auber.
Galop, "Early Morn - J. P. Clarke
Overture, "Bohemian Girl" - Balfe.
Operatic Selection. "Un Ballo in Maschera" - Verdi.
Quintett, "Blow Gentle Gales" - Bishop
c1852 there is mention of the "North Leicestershire Yeomanry
Band" along with some members of the Duke of Rutland's Band,
that was part of the opening ceremony of the "Nottingham
Arboretum" in the Notts papers.
30th September 1813
The Leicestershire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry on the 30th of
September 1813 in a field in Belgrave, Leics. On the far left of
the Squadrons you can see a mounted section of 8 men dressed in
Blue tunics and Tarleton helmets, these men are the mounted band
and the earliest recorded picture of a band for the LYC.